Canon is an important Chateau in the history of Saint Emilion and indeed the Right bank, founded by Jaques Kanon, a sailor as opposed to being of noble ranks, is one of the original Bourgeois after he amassed smaller holdings and joined them to form one estate.
The vineyards are split between the limestone plateau and the clay of the cotes, Merlot predominant as they are here on the Right Bank at 55% with the remaining 45% planted out to Cabernet Franc.
1983 was an abundant vintage in terms of cropping with a good flowering and growing season. Seen as a return to Canons's traditional style, softer compared to the previous year, polished with a little rusticity and showing its hallmark clean acidity and length.
Still in the original timber case, the labels are near on perfect with fill levels in the base of the neck.